SFU has an amazing program to help indigenous students transition into post-secondary to assure success. They will receive first year academic credits in humanities and social sciences with Indigenous Perspectives. This transition program is done in small cohort-style classes and a supportive atmosphere to help guide students into university life.
This program may be of particular interest to any current (or former) youth in care since they may qualify for financial support to cover some of the costs of their education. These may range from Provincial or SFU institutional Tuition Waivers, to living costs! Interested applicants can consult our online frequently asked questions for additional information or apply via our on-line application.
Here is a bit more of an overview and link to their website:
We welcome First Nations, Métis and Inuit students to a university learning environment that affirms and integrates Indigenous knowledge and perspectives. You will join a cohort of like-minded Indigenous students and explore university together with Elders, mentors, tutors and instructors while taking courses which can transfer into first year university or college.
We also offer literacy and quantitative classes (non-academic credit) that will build your confidence.
Upon successful completion of the IUPP, you will be granted admission to SFU and your completed credits will count towards your undergraduate degree.
- A high school graduate? A mature student?
- Considering going to university, but wanting to test it out first?
- Someone who wants to learn more about math and writing?
- Wanting to connect with a cohort group of Indigenous students in a cozy, safe, and supportive environment?
- Looking to open doors to more learning and working opportunities?
You will gain:
- A solid foundation of academic and personal success
- Support from tutors, academic advisors and program staff
- Academic units towards your undergraduate degree
- Admission to SFU and a paid internship program
(upon successful completion of the program; conditions apply)
Early Application Deadline: April 30, 2021.